Monday 17 June 2013

Cauliflower casserole with Pasta, Mushrooms and Nuts!

Hey!

Yes, it is time for cauliflower again. I bought way too much for the previous meal and had enough over to make this dish. It is again an adapted recipe I found over at Vegetarian Dad. However, my browser blocked the site and I decided to freestyle. I had read the recipe and remembered the core of it. 

This time I baked cauliflower in the oven, added some pasta, mushrooms and nuts, shredded a bunch of cheddar and made a sauce to pour over it before baking again. I will not be home to serve this to my spouse, hope he accepts the cauliflower in this version as well. It is always tricky with him and that vegetable! 

Once again I want to emphasize how this recipe is adapted to fit my needs. I need to get energy elsewhere when cutting our dairy for the most part and using vegan products, therefor I used cashews for this. I know they are high on carbs compared to other nuts, but I am sure this would work with a dash of almonds other other low carb nuts just as good! The nuts are there to take the meal to the next lever after all, not the main part of it :) Also I love onion and put onion in about everything. If you don't want the carbs from it, add a dash of onion powder or ignore. 

Of course, when I planned to do a proper post with pictures taken by my baking blog camera, the battery wasn't charge. So you'll get another phone picture. Sorry! If you decide to bake this, please let me know how it went and if you got any other opinions!



RECIPE for a large oven proof casserole

200 grams of pasta (I use a low carb version which has 6 carbs per serving, 60 grams pasta per serving)
a medium sized cauliflower head
150 grams of mushrooms
100 grams of nuts
1 onion

150 grams of cheddar cheese
2 dl (roughly 1 cup) of full fat cream/vegan cream
50 grams of butter

Spices. I used salt, pepper, paprika, oregano

How to?

  1. Cut the stalks of the cauliflower and put in the casserole. Bake in oven at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
  2. Cook pasta for about 75% of the cooking time.
  3. Chop onions, mushrooms and nuts.
  4. Shred the cheese.
  5. Take the casserole out of oven, add pasta and the chopped ingredients.
  6. In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the cream once after. Add the 100 grams of cheese and stir until combined and melted.
  7. Pour the cheese sauce over the casserole and spice it. Toss the remaining cheese over and bake in the oven for another 20 minutes.
  8. Serve with a salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment